- 2017: Ranked #12 of all public middle schools in NYC for student performance
- 2017: Ranked #45 (up from #77 in 2016) for New York State middle schools including charter schools for student performance (top 4%)
- NYC Quality Review Score: Well-Developed in 5 out of 5 categories
- Specialized HS Acceptances: Ranked #9 by the Wall Street Journal in a recent article (1 of only 2 schools non-screening schools in the top 10)
We have an established Gifted Program called IGC. The program has been in existence for 8 years. Incoming applicants take a Gifted and Talented exam created by Dr. Seokhee Cho from St. John’s University. This assessment covers general academics, logical thinking, and intellectually gifted attributes. There is a writing component and an interview. Students are ranked for admission into our prestigious IGC class.
The IGC curriculum is accelerated and was created by Ryan IGC teachers with assistance from professors at St. John’s University. IGC students receive additional weighted average grades based on the accelerated coursework.
Since its inception, 98% of our IGC students get into NYC Specialized High Schools. Last 5 years, all our IGC students (100%) were accepted into Specialized High Schools.
We have a partnership with St. John’s University:
That allows our IGC teachers access to best practices for teaching intellectually gifted children and several of our IGC teachers have received certification for Gifted and Talented instruction through that partnership.
Learning Partners Plus School: 1 of 11 schools selected citywide to showcase best practices
Common Core Lab School: 1 of 37 select schools in NYC
Other Ryan Facts:
- Three Academies: Law and Justice, Media Arts, and Scientific Exploration
- Talent Program: Visual Arts, Dance, Chorus, Band
- Technology: 25 iPad Classroom Labs, 7 Laptop Labs, 7 Chromebook Labs, SMARTBoards in every classroom, Media/Library Center, MyOn Reading (online books accessible on any computer, tablet, or smartphone), Online textbooks
- Robotics Curriculum: Every 6th grade student takes Robotics twice a week, Currently Queens Borough Lego education Robotics Champions
- Home/School Communication: PupilPath (online and text msg.), Principal’s Weekly Phone Messages, Monthly Parent Calendars, Monthly Parent Newsletters, PTA Mtgs., SLT Mtgs.
- Saturday Academy: Dance, ESL Enrichment, Filmmaking
- Academic Teams: Math Team, Science Olympiad, Robotics Team, Chess Team, Terraphiles Environmental Team, Project Boost Team
- Sports Teams: Basketball (Boys and Girls), Volleyball, Track
- After-school Activities: Student Organization, Chess Club, Guitar Club, Theater Club, Robotics, Intramural Basketball, Intramural Soccer, Academic Intervention in ELA and Mathematics, Beacon Program, Homework Help Tutoring Program
Stay Up to Date
The PTA and Ryan 216 both have important news for parents each week. Please be reminded that monthly calendars and newsletters are sent home via email and as handouts to your child. Also, with our School Messenger System we send informative phone calls weekly reminding you about upcoming Ryan events and accomplishments.
Your Child, Your School, Your PTA!
Find out how you can get more involved in our Ryan Community. Meet the Parent Leaders and find out more about our school's events by clicking here.
Meet our Parent Coordinator
Calendar of Events
At George J. Ryan Middle School, we have a diverse community focusing on a student-centered environment, promoting mutual respect for all and maximizing students' potential for high school readiness. We prepare all learners with differentiated curriculum that is relevant, meaningful, and actively engages students in our commitment to high standards. We educate the whole child with a strong focus on the five themes of citizenship - Honesty, Compassion, Respect, Responsibility, and Courage."